Pages

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Sun Tile

On Saturday I took two colored pencil classes from a wonderful artist, Terry Medaris.  You can see his website here.  Terry is from Arizona, and was at Art 'n Soul to teach beginner and intermediate classes using Prismacolor pencils. Terry's beautiful rubber stamps have a definite Southwest flair, and I really love them.

In the intermediate class, we stamped and colored on ceramic tiles, shrink plastic and dominos.  We learned shading techniques, and how to get these beautiful bright colors out of our pencils.  This is my tile, which I finished at home...which I'm still not sure is completely finished, so I haven't sprayed it yet.  I'm very VERY sorry that I didn't pick up on this great sun stamp from Terry, although I got a few others.




The tile is bisque (fired, but not glazed), about 4.25" x 4.25" and the image (Terry Medaris Fancy Sun Large) was stamped with StazOn Jet black ink.  I can't really tell you all of the colors of Prismacolor I used.  I just grabbed pencils and colored away to my heart's content.  I can tell you a few, because I haven't put them away yet:  PC989 Chartreuse; PC1088 Mixed Turquoise; PC 1008 Parma Violet; PC 1002 Yellowed Orange; PC1003 Spanish Orange; PC924 Crimson Red.

The red rim around the tile is just red paper that the tile was placed on for photographing.  When coloring is completed, the tiles are sprayed with Krylon fixatif in either glossy or matte finish.  These are SO very much fun to make.  If you are local, we will have a supply of the bisque tiles at Art 'n Soul by Tuesday.

1 comment:

  1. it's gorgeous, Dianne. and that red paper really pops the colors on the tile!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Please visit me again soon.
Dianne